Sunday, June 19, 2011

Rococo-loco

I discovered a new word the other day!! Not that I made it up, just that I'd never heard it before. Don't you love that? You go your whole life knowing something and then one day... BAM, you discover there is a name for it! So I've already told everyone about my love for damask and silhouettes and such, but apparently there is another word to describe what I love: Rococo.

Rococo: (I looked it up in my Webster's New World Dictionary, and it just happened to be one of the words in the corner!!) "an elaborate style of architecture and decoration, imitating foliage, scrolls, etc."

According to Wikipedia, it is also referred to as "Late Baroque." In other words, baroque style without the necessary symmetric patterns. Here are a few examples:



No comments:

Post a Comment